I decided to do a post on the different finishes of lipsticks. Have you purchase a tube of lipstick and liked the way it looked in the tube? Only to find out later after applying it to your lips that it looks nothing like the color in the tube. :o This may very well be attributed to the finish of the lipstick you purchased. The following is a quick description of lipstick finishes.
- Matte – opaque, full of color, long-lasting, does not work well with dry, chapped lips.
- Sheer or Satin – conditions during wear, shiny-glossy look allows natural color to show through.
- Crème – contains wax that protects lips, may need gloss to achieved desired look, color not long lasting.
- Frost/Metallic – shimmery and reflects light, may cause lip dryness.
- Transfer resistant – last from 4-6 hours, will not stain clothes or glasses, may need moisturizing base.
For all the MAC wearers, the following is a list of there lipstick finishes.
AMPLIFIED CREAM: Creamy. Slightly shiny. Color packed. Some of the bestselling shades: Up the Amp, Girl About Town, and Saint Germain.
CREMESHEEN: Moisturizing, cream-finish. Some of the bestselling shades: Hot Gossip, Shy Girl.
FROST: Frosted shimmer-and-shine finish. Some of the bestselling shades: Bronze Shimmer, Fresh Moroccan.
GLAZE: Very sheer color with shine. Some of the bestselling shades: Bubblegum, Riveting.
LUSTRE: Wet look sheer color. Some of the bestselling shades: Fresh brew, Plumful.
MATTE: Intense, no shimmer, non-shiny color. Some of the bestselling shades: Candy Yum Yum, Russian Red, and Heroine.
RETRO-MATTE: Intense, opaque formula that is less creamy than the matte lipsticks. Some bestselling shades: Ruby Woo, Relentlessly Red, and Flat Out Fabulous.
SATIN: Conditioning, high impact color with a semi-matte finish. Some of the bestselling shades: Siss, Rebel.
I hope this helps with your lipstick choices.
Source: http://www.femalebeauty.info, http://www.lipstick-guide.com, http://www.carefair.com, http://www.maccosmetics.com